Current:Home > ContactGeorge Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in the special election to fill his former seat -FutureFinance
George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in the special election to fill his former seat
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 02:45:30
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in next month’s special election to fill his now vacant seat in Congress.
The disgraced New York Republican, who became only the sixth lawmaker in history to be expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives last year, made the comments Tuesday following a brief hearing in federal court on Long Island ahead of his criminal fraud trial, which is slated for later this year.
Santos told reporters that he isn’t likely to cast a ballot at all in the Feb. 13 election for the seat representing the northern parts of Queens and Long Island.
The race pits Mazi Pilip, a relatively unknown Republican county lawmaker, against Democratic former congressman Thomas Suozzi, who previously represented the district for six years during a lengthy career in Long Island politics.
Santos faces a slew of criminal charges in the federal case, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed, and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
In his court hearing Tuesday, there was little talk of a potential plea deal, unlike his previous court appearance in December.
Santos’ lawyer Joseph Murray said only that negotiations remain “productive” and that both sides would report back to the judge if there were any notable developments.
Judge Joanna Seybert also approved a timeline for motions, briefs and other legal filings in preparation for the September trial. Santos now isn’t due back in court until Aug. 13.
Santos was elected in 2022 after campaigning as a self-made Wall Street whiz, but his life story unraveled soon after his election win, when it was revealed that he had lied about where he worked and went to college as well as big chunks of his personal background. He was ousted from his seat following a scathing House Ethics Committee report that said it found “overwhelming evidence” that he had broken the law and exploited his public position for his own profit.
After Tuesday’s hearing, Santos declined to say what else he’s been up to since his ignominious exit from national politics.
In recent months, he’s granted a handful of interviews and launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message.
Santos was asked Tuesday if he missed being in Congress.
“Sure,” he responded. “I worked hard to get there.”
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (677)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- 3 Milwaukee police officers and a suspect are wounded in a shootout
- Giants reward Matt Chapman's bounce-back season with massive extension
- 'Face the music': North Carolina man accused of $10 million AI-aided streaming fraud
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- 2 Nigerian brothers sentenced for sextortion that led to teen’s death
- Verizon to buy Frontier Communications in $20 billion deal to boost fiber network
- Donald Trump returns to North Carolina to speak at Fraternal Order of Police meeting
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Bachelor Nation’s Maria Georgas Addresses Jenn Tran and Devin Strader Fallout
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Rich Homie Quan, 'Type of Way' and Rich Gang rapper, dies at 34: Reports
- Marlon Wayans almost cut out crying on Netflix special over death of parents
- Kansas City Chiefs superfan sentenced to 17.5 years in prison for armed bank robberies
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Barney is back on Max: What's new with the lovable dinosaur in the reboot
- Inside Katy Perry's Dramatic Path to Forever With Orlando Bloom
- Report calls for Medicaid changes to address maternal health in Arkansas
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Peacock's star-studded 'Fight Night' is the heist you won't believe is real: Review
Ravens vs. Chiefs kickoff delayed due to lightning in Arrowhead Stadium area
Hugh Jackman Proves He’s Still the Greatest Showman With Eye-Popping Shirtless Photo
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Rapper Rich Homie Quan Dead at 34
The ‘Man in Black’ heads to Washington: Arkansas’ Johnny Cash statue is on its way to the US Capitol
Report calls for Medicaid changes to address maternal health in Arkansas